Where do I get sticks from?
You'll need 65 sticks and simply 2 lengths are needed. Use the calculator further down to work out the correct sizes.
Ideas for sticks
- Roofing batten - 2 packs of these would be plenty! *
- Hardwood dowels - 33 of these maybe? *
- Chestnut fence pales
- Oiled oak
- Broom handles - 3 packs of these gives you 10 spare *
* Suggestions are for UK outlets and provide enough material to make a 4m dome
Get your sticks made
- Local DIY Centres
- Carpenters or wood workers
- Traditional fence makers
Email us if you need help at email@example.com
How do I cut my sticks?
Taper the ends
Read more in our guide
of wider sticks
Stick length calculator
Insert your desired dome diameter in millimeters here:mm
You need to cut:
This diameter is outside our currently tested range using the simple centre-to-outside build method with two people.
You may need more people and/or need to support the structure during the build. Keeping the sticks light in weight will help when going to larger diameters.
Are you using millimeters?
This diameter, in millimeters, is too small to work with hubs – the screws would clash within the wood!
The smallest diameter we recommend is: 600mm.